What is Blended Learning?
Blended Learning is an approach to teaching and learning where students bring their own digital device to use in class as a digital workbook, research tool, movie/photo capturing and editing device etc. Blended Learning classes use the best of both worlds; digital and paper to support the learning activities.
The focus is on learning and not the device. Therefore, when and how the device is used will depend on the learning goals of each lesson as well as teacher and student preference. Traditional approaches to learning are supplemented, and the door is opened to new and different ways to learn.
Benefits include increased student engagement and greater personalised learning, which can lead to improvements in teaching and learning.
Why Blended Learning?
Our Bethlehem College Strategic Map identifies “Personalised Learning and Blended Delivery” as one of our key strategic objectives. We believe in empowering our students and teachers through developing personalised learning in a blended approach.
The New Zealand curriculum identifies a number of successful approaches to learning and has written these up as “Effective Pedagogy”. eLearning is given specific attention. Find out more
What does Blended Learning mean for my child?
- Year 1 - 5 classrooms have pods of iPads and desktop computers.
- All Year 6 - 9 classes are blended learning classrooms (1-1 iPad classrooms each child has their own iPad).
- Year 10 - 13 students are to bring their own devices (BYOD).
Years 6-9 iPads BYOD
Please bring iPad Air 2/iPad 2017 or newer. (Please no iPad Pro 12.9 inch as there is limited security at school for these and we don’t recommend iPad mini as the smaller screen can cause difficulty when creating and using documents.)
Things to remember:
- Please make sure these apps are on the iPad: Blended Learning App List
- Students in an existing blended learning classroom may use their current iPad, however some functionality will be limiting on the older device
- Wifi only (no 3G/4G)
- 32GB or higher as storage needs are always growing with higher quality photos and videos
- Necessary accessories:
- A Bluetooth keyboard case as it helps to protect the device and will be much more comfortable to type on for extended periods
- For Year 6 - 8, a combination padlock for school iPad lockers.
To view the device options for Year 6-9 click here.
Parents here are some helpful tips to set up safety measures on an iPad: Parent iPad Digital Help Files
Years 10-13 BYOD
Please bring a laptop or you can use your current device (iPad – with Bluetooth keyboard) until it becomes unsuitable. Please note, that due to the small screen size, a phone is not a suitable digital device.
To view the device options for Year 10-13 click here.
If you would like to purchase new devices the following are retailers that have the school specs: PB TECH, Noel Leeming PC, Noel Leeming Macbook, Noel Leeming iPad. Or you can use the specs above and purchase from another provider.
Conbrio is a company that refurbishes corporate laptops that are three years old to be sold on. These devices are good quality and due to being ex lease are less expensive than new devices. Conbrio Devices BC
Students who bring a device to school will be expected to sign a contract committing themselves to responsible use of their digital device with an understanding of consequences should they violate this requirement. Blended Learner Agreement
Questions about digital devices or Blended learning? Please email eLearning