For international students applying for entry to New Zealand secondary schools, full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available through the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website:

Visa extensions can be applied for in New Zealand. The fee for this is NZ$250, which is paid to Immigration Services. A preparation fee of NZ$100 is also charged by Bethlehem College. 

Here’s some information to help you get your New Zealand study visa:

In order to be accepted for a study visa at a New Zealand secondary school, a student must submit:

  • a completed and signed application form
  • the application fee
  • a passport (must be valid for at least three months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand)
  • two recent passport-size photographs
  • an Offer of Place from the school (Bethlehem College) they will study at
  • a receipt for payment of fees, stating duration of study paid for
  • evidence of financial support while in New Zealand: evidence of NZ$10,000 per year (and provision for an airline ticket) or evidence of NZ$1,000 per month if studying for under 36 weeks
  • confirmation from your education provider (Bethlehem College) that accommodation arrangements meet the Code requirements.

If applying for a further student visa (allowing the student to stay longer), you must also provide copies of:

  • evidence of previous student performance
  • evidence of attendance showing satisfactory progress.

Character Requirements

If students are aged 17 or over and intend being in New Zealand for 24 months or longer, they must provide a police certificate from their country of citizenship (unless they can provide satisfactory evidence that they have never lived there). All police certificates must be less than six months old when the application is made.

Health Requirements

For people studying for between six and 12 months, you will need to provide:

  • an X-ray Certificate for Temporary Entry (INZ 1096)

For people studying for more than 12 months, you will need to complete:

  • a Medical and X-ray Certificate (INZ 1007)

Can students take on a part time job during their study?

High School students in Years 12 or 13 who have a student visa, may apply for a Variation of Conditions to their Student Permit to allow them to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year and any holidays within the academic year - provided they have written permission from the school and written parental consent.


Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. We recommend Uni-care insurance. Get in touch with Ngaire for more information. The cost is currently NZ$582.55 per year.  Visit Uni-Care for more detailed information.

A student may purchase their own insurance or have this arranged by their agent, ensuring that Bethlehem College receives a copy of the policy in English, before enrolment.  If at the time of enrolment the student does not have an adequate current insurance policy, Bethlehem College reserves the right to arrange travel and medical insurance through Uni-Care. The cost of the insurance will be met by the student.

Eligibility for New Zealand health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health. Find out more 

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website