International Enrolment


Completing our online application is quick and easy. Here are a few tips for you:

  • You can save the application at any time by clicking “Save Draft” and come back to it when you’re ready. A link will be emailed to you, so that you can review and complete your application at a time that suits you.
  • Information with a red asterisk (*) is required for submission.
  • You will need to be able to print, sign and scan a declaration form to confirm you agree to our Enrolment Contract and our Homestay Contract (if you are staying in a Homestay).
  • Once the application is fully completed, click ‘Submit Application’. An email will be sent to your email address to confirm it has been submitted.
  • Ensure any files being uploaded do not exceed 20mb.

Before you begin, it may be helpful to get the following items organised and at hand:

  • Current Passport
  • Photo of student
  • Latest School Report (translated into English)
  • Vaccination Record (with English translation)
  • If you are wanting to stay with a Homestay family, please prepare and upload a letter of introduction and some personal photos.
click here to begin the application


AEAS Testing

International applicants (for Year 10 and above) intending to sit NCEA and for whom English is a second language, must sit an entrance test administered by AEAS. AEAS test results provide detail regarding the student’s English language proficiency and their general ability.

The AEAS Report will be considered alongside other information provided by the family when reviewing the student’s application.

AEAS Testing is available around the world, and students can register online. Alternatively, your agent will be able to assist you with the registration process. Please include a copy of the student’s AEAS Report with enrolment application or as soon as possible after submitting your application. For further information about AEAS testing, please visit or email [email protected].

Enrolment Cap

Bethlehem College has a capped roll that allows for approximately 100 international students. This is less than 5% of the total college roll, and ensures an authentic Kiwi experience with some international flavour.  Placement availability will be advised upon application or enquiry.

Mainstream Course: Primary or Secondary School studies and English as a Second Language

Intake Date: Beginning of February (Term 1) or at the beginning of Term 3 if places are available at the requested year level

Length of Course: 1+ Years Minimum of one semester (being two terms / six months)

Enrolment: New applications should be sent between June and September, prior to the intended year of study


Studying in a new country is a huge adventure and we know you have a lot of questions. All new students to Bethlehem College are welcomed with an orientation programme to ensure a smooth transition into studying and living in New Zealand. We can’t wait to meet you! Our fun, relaxed orientation days may include:

  • meeting our staff/ introductions
  • making friends with new and existing students.
  • taking a tour of your new school
  • engaging in sport and cultural opportunities
  • lots of general school information
  • meeting important contacts within the school
  • information about cultural differences

Secondary students only:

  • a tour of Tauranga (Terms 1 and 3)
  • homestay information
  • how to choose your school subjects
  • NCEA (National Certificate of Educational Achievement)
  • Shared morning tea with mainstream buddies and key staff from around the school.

Frequently Asked Questions

Applying for a student visa To be accepted for a study visa at Bethlehem College, a student must submit:
  • a passport (must be valid for at least three months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand)
  • two recent passport-size photographs • an Offer of Place from us
  • a receipt for payment of fees, stating the duration of study paid for
  • evidence of financial support while in New Zealand: evidence of NZ$10,000 per year (and provision for an airline ticket) or evidence of NZ$1,000 per month if studying for under 36 weeks
  • confirmation from Bethlehem College that the student’s accommodation meets the Code requirements. Health Requirements
  • If your child will be studying for between 6-12 months, you’ll need to provide an X-ray Certificate for Temporary Entry (INZ 1096)
If they’re studying for more than 12 months, you will need to complete a Medical and X-ray Certificate (INZ 1007).

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance while studying in New Zealand. We recommend Uni-care insurance. Get in touch with Karlee for more information. The cost is currently NZ$582.55 per year. Visit Uni-Care for more detailed information.

A student may purchase their own insurance or have this arranged by their agent, ensuring that Bethlehem College receives a copy of the policy in English, before enrolment. If at the time of enrolment the student does not have an adequate current insurance policy, Bethlehem College reserves the right to arrange travel and medical insurance through Uni-Care. The cost of the insurance will be met by the student.

Eligibility for New Zealand health services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment. Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health.  Find out more

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation (ACC) provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the  ACC website