Visa Regulations

For students applying for entry to New Zealand secondary schools, full details of visa requirements, advice on rights to employment in New Zealand while studying, and reporting requirements are available thorugh the New Zealand Immigration Service, and can be viewed on their website at

Visa extensions can be applied for in New Zealand.  The fee for this is NZD$220.00 which is paid to Immigration Services.  A preparation fee of $80 is also charged by Bethlehem College.  In order to be accepted for a study visa at a New Zealand Secondary School, a student must submit:

  • a completed and signed application form
  • the application fee
  • a passport (must be valid for at least 3 months past the date you plan to leave New Zealand)
  • two recent passport-size photographs
  • an Offer of Place from the school they will study at
  • a Receipt for payment of fees, stating duration of study paid for
  • evidence of financial support while in New Zealand
    - evidence of NZ$10,000 per year (and provision for an airline ticket) or
    - evidence of NZ$1,000 per month if studying for under 36 weeks
  • confirmation from education provider that accommodation arrangements meet the Code requirements

If applying for a further student visa, you must also provide copies of:

  • evidence of previous student performance
  • evidence of attendance showing satisfactory progress

Character Requirements
If students are aged 17 or over and intend being in New Zealand for 24 months or longer, they must provide a police certificate from their country of citizenship (unless they can provide satisfactory evidence that they have never lived there).  All Police Certificates must be less than 6 months old when the application is made.

Health Requirements
For people studying for more than 6 months and less than 12 months, you will need to provide:
-  an X-ray Certificate for Temporary Entry (INZ 1096)

For people studying for more than 12 months, you will need to complete:
-  a Medical and X-ray Certificate (INZ 1007)

High School students in Years 12 or 13 who have a student visa, may apply for a Variation of Conditions to their Student Permit to allow them to work for up to 20 hours in any given week during the academic year and any holidays within the academic year - provided they have written permission from the school and written parental consent.